WordPress is a versatile platform for building blogs and websites. It's free and open source, costing you nothing to use. It's the most popular website platform in the world, with millions of sites. Lots of themes and plugins are available for every industry needs — including sports and training!
If you want to build a sports website, you have many options. You can let a sports-specific company host your site. You can hire a developer to create a custom site from scratch, but this will be a large expense, with the continued costs of fixing bugs. If you want control of your site at a reasonable cost, using a content management system (CMS) such as WordPress is likely your best option.
5 Reasons to Build a WordPress Sports Website
How can WordPress benefit your sports business?
- You're in control of your own site. If you go with a sports hosting company, you have to live with its offerings and its standards. You're limited in the look and the features you can offer. If you want to leave, you need to start over completely. With a WordPress sports website, there are few limits on how you can make it look and what features you can add. Many developers and management companies support WordPress, so you aren't locked into a vendor. You can shop around and choose the one that best understands your needs.
- Sports-specific features available. You build a WordPress site based on a theme, a published set of programming code and a stylesheet, that defines the sites look. Some themes are free; the better ones usually cost, but a reasonable amount. Lots of themes are aimed specifically at sports sites. In fact, you can find themes aimed at specific sports, including soccer, baseball, tennis, golf, hockey — almost any sport you can name. You can also use an attractive general-purpose theme and let the content talk about the sport. Some themes are oriented more toward the sport itself, others toward the business behind the sport. You can customize the theme you choose to give your sports website a unique look that speaks to your branding.
- Access to sports-related plugins. Plugins are pieces of software you can add to a WordPress site to make it do things which it otherwise couldn't do. Available plugins make it easy to post an event schedule, list training goals, show trainer profiles, and provide directions to events. You can even set up online payment with an e-commerce plugin. If there isn't a plugin that does what you need, you can always hire a developer to create what you need.
- Easy to create a mobile-friendly website. People who are active in sports are frequently on the go, and they'll want to check your site from their phone. If you use WordPress with what's called a "responsive" theme, the contents will look good on a desktop, a tablet or a smartphone.
- Add a blog to stay engaged with your audience. WordPress initially started life as a blogging tool, and your site can easily include a blog for delivering news, announcements and general encouragement to athletes. Readers can leave comments on posts, and the Akismet plugin will keep out most spam comments. If you prefer, you can limit the blog's visibility to members. Alternatively, you can allow anyone to view the blog, but only allow members to leave comments, or moderate all comments before they appear. Readers can keep up with the blog by following its RSS feed or subscribing to email updates.
Overall, WordPress offers almost all the versatility of a fully custom-built website combined with the opportunity to use widely used, well-tested components. The variety of themes and plugins allows you to create a unique-looking site and add features without having to pay for custom software development. Request a demo today to see how Upper Hand can help you get started with your WordPress site, integrating sports software to make your user-experience more seamless than ever!